Herod’s Gate – one of the city gates of Jerusalem Old City
Today’s Jerusalem Old City has 8 city gates. Besides the Golden Gate, all other 7 gates are still in use. The different districts of the old city of Jerusalem and the location of the gates are shown in the diagram below.
Herod’s Gate is a gate in the northern wall of the Old City of Jerusalem. It adjoins the Muslim Quarter. Herod’s Gate was built by the Ottomans and in 1875, in order to provide a passageway to the new neighborhoods which were beginning to develop north of the Old City, it was rebuilt and expaned.
Herod’s Gate is also know as Sheep’s Gate because it led to the sheep market in ancient times. Nehemiah 3:1 – “Then the high priest Eliashib set to work with his fellow priests and rebuilt the Sheep Gate. They consecrated it and set up its doors; they consecrated it as far as the Tower of the Hundred and as far as the Tower of Hananel.” The old picture shows the sacrificial ceremony in front of Herod’s Gate.
Herod’s Gate may be named after Herod Antipas. Luke 23:7 – “And when he learned that he (Jesus) was under Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him off to Herod, who was himself in Jerusalem at that time.” Christian tradition identifies the site of nearby Greek Orthodox Church of St Nicodemus with the palace of Herod Antipas.
— Helen Chan